Friday, August 5, 2011

España, una sueña

Tortilla Española con Salmorejo
al lado de La Mezquita.
Los alegrías simples de la ciudad.
It's been almost a year. A WHOLE YEAR. Since my study abroad in Spain. And it's only recently that I've been feeling nostalgic. I don't know if I'm having a really delayed reaction, or if it's because I've graduated and don't know what to do with all this freedom so I revert back to thinking about the times where I didn't have to worry about my future.

But when I think about Cordoba, it's almost like it was a dream; a very good dream. I don't remember exact certain events, but I remember the feelings. I'll look at a picture or read an old post, and the feelings start rushing back. Right now, however, when I read my old posts, it's almost as if I'm reading about someone else and their adventure. My mind, no matter how hard I try, just can't wrap around the fact that I did and experienced all those things.

There are certain things I do that, I guess, subconsciously make me feel connected to Spain. Well, first off, my facebook and google is still in Spanish (so was my phone, but I got a new one). When I'm thinking, I sometimes think in Spanish and I wonder how I would say random phrases. When no one's around, I talk to my dog in Spanish. I watch Spanish telenovelas. After I finish watching Friends in English, I'll watch it all over again in Spanish. I tried to implement siesta, but in this culture, it felt more like a waste of time. I know it's not much, and it may seem a bit silly, but these are the things I do to hold on to that memory of Spain.

I miss it, I really do. I miss the value in culture, architecture, art, history. I miss walking on cobblestone streets, through parkways and fountains. I miss meeting friends at the plaza, the tintos, cafe con leches, and the churros con chocolates. I miss this beautiful land, its people, and its language. I'm envious of my friends who are traveling or are preparing to study abroad. I wish I can go back and just relive it all over again. But I know there's more ahead of me. All I can do is treasure this memory in my heart.

Cordoba, como una sueña buena, pero dificil de aguantar...