Thursday, November 11, 2010

WAFT

is my word for Paris

Why?

Because right after getting off the metro into the Beauvais station, I got a huge warm waft of delicious pastries. What other metro station smells of pastries?! Sure enough, I walk out and to my left, see a beautiful display of fluffy croissants, custards, and more. I knew I was going to enjoy Paris.
And I did

This is a croque Madame that I had. Just a simple sandwich with ham and melted cheese and an egg on top, yet it bursted with flavor. It’s funny because there’s a croque monsieur as well, but the madames the one with the egg ahah, get it?


Restaurant on the Seine River!

Yum yum crepe crepe!

Crepe #1 (not pictured) was stuffed with chicken and ratatouille
Crepe #2 Ham, Mushroom and Cheese


Crepe #3 Banana and nutella


Got into the Louvre FO FREEE


mummieez

Greek art. Reminds me of Hercules!

I was so excited to see El Greco cause we’ve been studying his art in my art history class!

HUGE painting don't remember what it was called.
Mona Lisa, which really wasn't all that

yada yada more paintings and sculptures. can't you tell that I just love museums?

Went to an authentic French Restaurant, Chez Janouz
This was kevin's rabbit

Many many metros

Chocolate and wine under the Eiffel!
Diamond lights every hour!
Montmarte watching a harpist

Lots of art!

Most amazing Falafel place!

My falafel with SPICE!

Then we went to eat our falafs by the river

Gargoyles!
what goofs we are

Hunchback of Notre Dame ahah

Gelato with as many flavors as you want!

Arc de Triumph (which really wasn’t anything but an arc)

Escargot

Haha just kidding--here it is
kinda ugly
Moulin Rouge

I’m really glad that I saw as many things that I did, but to be quite honest, I would have loved to sit for one sec with a coffee and just soak up the city. Instead, I was running around town, boarding the blue, transferring to the green, stopping at the red, then run towards this street, actually we missed it because we were going too fast, go back, go go go. PHEW! I know this sounds sucky but what I remember most about Paris is the buttload of metros we had to take to see all the things we wanted to see.


 I wanted so desperately to slow down, and admire things. But it was hard because everyone else was so focused on getting to their destination.
That’s when I realized, I’m someone who’s all about the journey. I’m able to enjoy what I come across when I come across it. I’m able to see and appreciate beauty in the simple things. I can be walking somewhere and notice a funny sticker on the wall, a leaf shaped like a dog, doves jumping on each other doing who knows what.

I don’t need to hold all my excitement to the end because I enjoy it along the way. But so many are unaware of their surroundings. They’re so focused on reaching their goal that they lose focus or they miss something so great. (Psychology note: so there’s this experiment on attention where students are shown a video of people tossing a ball. They are told to count how many times the ball has been passed. It’s funny because 30 seconds in, a person in a gorilla suit dances through the ball tossing, HOWEVER, because the students are so focused on counting, they completely miss it!)

So being on the other side, is a bit frustrating. It’s like, HEY STOP! SLOW DOWN. STOP FOCUSING SO HARD BECAUSE YOU’RE MISSING THE DANCING GORILLA! But that’s life, you’re always on the go. Take time to just relax and sit still. Guarantee, you’ll notice things you’ve never noticed before and you’ll come to appreciate them so much. I know I do.